Monday, July 19, 2010

A Gluten Free Journey Begins

As with any disease controlling it is your choice and no one else's. You have the right to let it beat you into submission or you can choose to fight it with what you know and continue on. I'm a natural born fighter therefore I've chosen to fight this with all I can.

Over the years I have taken numerous medications to treat things such as GERD (severe acid reflux), sensitive skin, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), acne, allergies, chronic sinus infections, crazy skin problems, menopause, anxiety, migraines, and whatever else they could come up with. If it was listed in their little PDR (physicians desk reference) they prescribed a pill or two for each symptom. Eventually my problems started having problems and therefore they needed meds too.

So, as you probably figured out I was pill popping junky. I won't bore you with all the details but I will tell you that after five years of pill popping I had finally enough. I felt like a drug addicted prostitute going to my overpaid pimp doctor for a fix every two weeks. When I finally asked if we could find some solutions to my problems instead of medicating them, her reply was, "hmm your pulse seems high lets put you on some blood pressure medication." Needless to say that was the pill that broke this junkies back. I fired my doctor (well ok I just stopped going) and started on my quest of natural alternatives. I found a naturalistic doctor that eventually discovered that all of my problems stemmed from the highly misdiagnosed Celiac disease.

I've never been very good at allowing things or others for that matter to control me. I'm sure this is because of some deep rooted daddy issue that will all be revealed when I'm ninety on a special Jerry Springer episode featuring midgets who wrestle ducks for love. However, in the mean time I have to make sure that I adhere to the Gluten-free lifestyle. For those of you who have no idea what that means here is the abridged definition. It requires the removal of all Wheat, Rye, Oats, Bran and Barley that can be found in food, medicines, cosmetics, hygiene products, and whatever else you can think of.

Finding out that I have Celiac Disease was the best thing that has happened to me in years. I know people are probably wondering, "how can finding out that you have any kind of disease be good, much less be the best thing? (Especially when all you can eat is grass unless it is growing in a wheat field..LOL just kidding)" Well… For one, it's not cancer and since I've already had that once getting it again would have kinda sucked.. LOL Two, because I finally get to put face on the one thing that had completely drained my lively hood for such a long time and three, I get to take my life back!

How am I doing this? I'm starting with educating myself on other things such as nutrition, holistic alternatives, and herbal remedies. In my journey I hope to provide education, help, resources, and encouragement to others. I do not claim to be a doctor nor do I have any type of degree that qualifies me to give advice. I do however, possess the ability to decipher common sense from hogwash. I have great ability to speak my mind (whenever I want), the right to my own opinions, and last but not least God on my side.

So please join me on my journey down the rabbit hole and lets see which is or isn't right for you. Here's to beginning, continuing, or thinking about a life that is Gluten-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment